Tokyo, Japan

Launched in 2022 by Virgilio Martínez, MAZ is a younger sibling for his restaurant Central in Lima, Peru, first-place winner in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2023. Bringing the flavours of South American fine dining to Tokyo’s Akasaka neighbourhood, the menu, overseen by chef Santiago Fernández Saim, spans Peru’s Pacific coast, the Amazon rainforest and the Andean highlands, celebrating both the country’s diverse ecosystems and Japanese seasonality. Only 20% of the ingredients used – core items including cacao, biodynamic coffee, dehydrated potatoes and edible chaco clay – are imported from Peru, with the other 80% coming from specialist Tokyo growers and producers. Served in a sophisticated, earth-toned dining room with soaring, floor-to-ceiling windows, each of the tasting menu’s nine courses is designed to reflect the terrain found at various Peruvian altitudes. The wine list champions small and natural producers from South America and there are plenty of low-and-no-alcohol options.

Key Information


1-3 Kioicho, Otemachi, Tokyo, Kanto, 102-0094